If there is one thing West Ham fans love more than the Hammers it’s hating our former players. Rather than look at those who hung it up long ago (I’m looking at you Paul Ince you traitor!) I thought I’d look at those players who are still plying their trade.
- A certain Frenchman: I hate him so much I won’t even utter his name. We gave him everything and then he acted like a petulant child and turned his back on the fans who so loved him. The wound is still fresh which makes this an easy choice for number one. I would love to play him once or twice before he hangs up his boots.
2. John Terry: It’s impressive that someone who didn’t even play on the hammers first team can be this high on the list that’s just a testament to his arrogance. He goaded fans every chance get got and they gave it right back to him. Time heals many wounds, see Jermain Defoe and to a lesser extent Frank Lampard, but I have a feeling time won’t see the hatred for Terry diminish anytime soon.
3. Mo Diame: This might be my own personal hatred spilling over but I can’t stand this guy. He was an incredibly frustrating player in a Hammers shirt and when he wanted to move to a bigger club he ended up settling for Hull. I was thrilled when they got relegated with him on the team and actively cheered against them in their promotion battle last season. It didn’t help that he scored on his Hull debut against us. I for one will be looking forward to our games against Newcastle next season.
4. Jermain Defoe: The hate has really subsided the past few years and being linked with a return Jermain has said almost everything correctly. With the exception of him bidding farewell to White Hart Lane but not Upton Park. I think many fans are ready to forgive him and bring him home, but there’s also going to be plenty that won’t be able to forgive him until he puts a few goals past Spurs in a claret and blue shirt. I for one certainly would like to see him come back (not on 100k a week though) and retire in the claret and blue.
5. No one: I honestly can’t think of someone else that I truly hate as a player that used to play for us. Are we going soft? We don’t have five former players that we have to hate every time we play them? Come on guys! We’re better than this! Let me know in the comments which former Hammers we hate that are still playing.